Words almost fail this writer when looking at the uber-Blairite website Keeping the Faith, which argues that, “they are backing Prime Minister Tony Blair against a minority of MPs who want to bring him down.”
Never mind that the petition started off with a list of names from an American name generator, then got hijacked while the mystery webmaster snoozed by posters claiming to be Dot Cotton, Bernard Manning, Darth Vader and “Blair, straight to hell”, as the petition has now been repaired.
However, it now consists of 35 people, and with the most notable being Jessica Asato and Howard Dawber, the message of unity is hardly moving beyond small new Labour circles. And while Luke Akehurst certainly writes a good, entertaining blog, it’s hardly moved out of its comfort zone.
Given that this is a very thinly veiled anti-Brown front group, it’s all the more amusing to look at the “Tony Blair’s Achievements” section. Let’s list some highlights:
1. Lowest inflation since the 60s
2. Low interest rates
3. Introduced the National Minimum Wage
9. Lowest unemployment for 29 years
10. Written off up to 100 per cent of debt owed by poorest countries
18. New Deal – helped over a million people into work
19. Local government funding has increased by a third in real terms
24. Child benefit up 25 per cent since 1997
25. Created Sure Start to help children from low income households
27. £200 winter fuel payment to pensioners & extra £100 for over-80s
32. All workers now have a right to 4 weeks’ paid holiday
33. Record rises in the state pension
34. 700,000 children lifted out of relative poverty
35. Introduced child tax credit giving more money to parents
37. Cut long-term youth unemployment by 75 per cent
44. Free TV licences for over-75s
47. Free local bus travel for over-60s
All we can say is thank god that bastard plotter Brown hasn’t taken over to mess that record up.